This post is mostly about a cool new pizza restaurant and a tiny little bit about change. Here we go – – An older, well established neighborhood I once traveled through every school day for four years is experiencing a revitalization of sorts. It’s one of those communities where many well-seasoned homes and businesses are lived in, loved, well cared for or forsaken, then restored – repeat. I remember Plaza Pharmacy on the corner of Ponce and N Highland. My dad would go there for whatever and I tagged along. It was cool because the drug store interior felt and looked old school. There was even a retro soda fountain. The lunch counter spanned almost the entire front of the store and even had throwback mixers and such. Read More
You ever find inspiration or even memories in a box? This month I most certainly did when I opened my August Degustabox. In case you haven’t heard of it, Degustabox is a subscription food box company with a presence across five European markets and now here in the U. S.. This box is the second I’ve tried and it didn’t disappoint.
As expected, my Degustabox was filled with 10 food products which is what subscribers should expect. Just like the box I received last month, this one offered a good selection of sweet and savory items. Also inside were inserts with information about each of the products as well as a couple recipes and an activity sheet.
Before I go on, I have to provide an update on the bottle of salad dressing that didn’t survive delivery last month. I didn’t receive a replacement this month, but I was reassured that subscribers do receive replacement items when something arrives in poor condition.
Now, back to the goodies.
This month my Degustabox was filled with:
- Oregon Chai Tea Latte – My daughter and I both enjoyed this. It was surprisingly good considering the fact that it comes in the form of a powder.
- Loacker Rose of the Dolomite – So if you’re familiar with the state of Georgia, you know that our Summers are mercilessly hot and humid. I should emphasize that…Hot and Humid. So let’s not ship chocolate stuff without a freeze pack.
- ALO Allure Pulp Free – This was an interesting beverage to see and try for the first time. I would consider drinking this second to water. Aloe Vera is known for its health benefits. ALO simply enhances it with more of the things we need and love – fruits and vegetables.
- White Lily White Grape and Wheat Flour – Have you ever heard of this? No? Well, neither have I. I’m so excited to do some baking with it. I’m thinking of baking a loaf of bread or a cake with apples inside for the Fall. By that time, life will have slowed down enough for me to really enjoy a slice of it.
- Sir Kensington’s Chipotle Mayonnaise – One of my favorite sandwiches is a BLT. I’m a little on the fence about using this spread on it but I can clearly envision a club sandwich made with lightly toasted bread and a gentle slathering of this Chipotle Mayonnaise.
- popchips Ridges – It was weird how I opened the bag of popchips just to find myself staring at the bottom of it a short time later. I guess that means they were really good.
- Goetze’s Cow Tails – This is my memory item. I used to eat these when I was a kid. They tasted so much better this time around. Strange, right?
- Goya Maria Cookies – I carried these cookies in my purse until one day, while sitting in morning commute traffic, I polished them off. One by one. The only thing missing was a lovely cup of tea.
- Post Honey Bunches of Oats – I was already a fan of Honey Bunches of Oats but the Strawberry flavored cereal made it a real treat. I tried a bowl with almond milk. It was so very satisfying.
- Vermont Smoke & Cure Mini Meat Sticks – The two types included this month were Cracked Pepper and Turkey Pepperoni. I enjoyed them both but the Cracked Pepper was my favorite. If they were in the snack section of the checkout line at the grocery store, I might actually impulse buy them.
As you can see, there are some interesting finds included in food subscription boxes. Half of the items I tried in the August box may not have been new, but they were new to me.
To learn more about Degustabox
Visit their Website | Follow on Twitter | Follow on Instagram
Try it for yourself: Save 50% off your first box – that’s $9.99 instead of $19.99 – use coupon code HGLJJ
Disclosure: I received this complimentary Degustabox in exchange for an honest review. I received no monetary compensation for this post. All opinions are based on my own personal experience. You can view my full Disclosure Policy here.
Don’t you just love a good foodie themed celebration? Marlow’s Tavern is currently serving up a Burgers & Brews menu which could easily turn festive with the right folks around the table. I had the pleasure of dining at the Emory Point location recently with the people who call me mom. They can be a fun bunch when they want to be.
The menu features a limited time only selection of Starters, gourmet Burgers and classic Sides with Marlow’s own special twist of flavor. Beer is obviously the beverage of choice for the promotion but if you aren’t the suds type, they offer a number of drinks that are sure to satisfy your taste buds. Miss A and I opted for their Blueberry Lemonade, while B & R sipped happily on cocktails.
For starters, we shared small plates of Firecracker Shrimp and Loaded Burbank Skins. The Horseradish Cream that was served with the Skins was just wonderful. It was a great way to start the meal off.
Our burgers followed soon after with three of us ordering the Black and Blue Burger. It’s pretty awesome. The side I chose for my burger was Chili-Slathered Corn on the Cob. Ms. R’s burger came with fries as did Miss A’s but her burger was actually substituted with chicken. One entree, three ways. So cool. Everyone was happy. Mr. B ordered the Infamous Fish Tacos and was not disappointed.
The added bonus to our experience was China who tended to our table. She wore such a cheerful personality which we admired. She also knows how to handle things behind the bar when she needs to. Awesomeness!!
The Burgers and Brews Celebration Menu is a fun salute to summer and I appreciate having been a part of it. You can join in now through August 1, 2016 so be sure to stop in soon.
To learn more about Marlow’s Tavern
Visit their Website | Follow on Twitter | Follow on Instagram
Disclosure: I received a Gift Card for use at Marlow’s Tavern. I did not received monetary compensation for this post. All opinions are my own and were not influenced in any way. You can view my full Disclosure Policy here.